Sleep is very important for everyone. Most teens get anywhere from 7-7 1/2 hours of sleep each night this is lower than the recommended amount of sleep. The recommended amount of sleep for teens 14-17 is 9-9 1/2 hours. Some kids just can’t get into a good routine to sleep. So here are some tips for getting a good nights sleep.
- Exercise – getting 20-40 minutes of exercise three times a week will help you sleep.
- Caffeine – A reduction of caffeine in your diet will also help, it will make you feel better and help with a regular sleep schedule.
- Eating – eating too much or too little before bed can cause discomfort throughout the night.
- Electronics – try and reduce the use of cell phones, TVs, games, and other electronics.
- Environment – cooler, dark, quiet, and comfortable rooms sooth the mind allowing for you to fall asleep faster and have a better sleep.
- Bathing – taking a hot bath or shower helps before you go to sleep, studies show the body sleeps when it is cooled.
- Music – soft peaceful music can calm you and help you got to sleep faster.
- Going to bed early – getting to bed early helps because your body has time to calm and go to sleep.
1-2 years old: 12 – 15 hours
3-5 years old: 10 – 13 hours
6-13 years old: 9 – 11 hours
14-17 years old: 8 – 10 hours
18-25 years old: 7 – 9 hours
26-64 years old: 7 – 9 hours
65+ years old: 7 – 8 hours